Updated: December 2016.
I was a self-employed telecommunications consultant with 30 years experience of network design; product portfolio, network and systems strategy, and telecommunications architecture.
Now I'm retired and doing a variety of things as documented on my blog.
• Extensive experience of public carrier IP networking and next-generation network design.
• VP-level senior management experience in global corporations.
• Successful strategist and agent of change in large companies.
• Superior analytical, communications and delivery skills.
• The ability to develop a vision and inspire people through to completion.
Network architecture consultant to international law firm, London -- Jan 2012 - July 2012.
Worked with an international legal firm to define their requirements for a new enterprise network involving multi-site connectivity with data centres. Wrote the RFP and managed the vendor evaluation and selection process through to contract award.
Network architecture consultant to Peel Media City, Manchester -- Dec 2008 - Jan 2009
Network architecture consultant to Dubai World Central -- Jan 2008 - July 2008
Programme Management - BT Wireless Cities -- May 2006 - Sept 2007
Senior Consultant – Mentor Technology International, working with a number of clients including an MVNO developing a new GPRS-based proposition, a VoIP company moving to SIP, a major multinational bidding into BT's 21st Century Network programme and a leading satellite broadcaster on its IPTV/Video-on-Demand programme. -- April 2004 - Feb 2006
Vice President - Portfolio Development at Cable & Wireless Global -- April 2002 - April 2003
Chief Architect - Cable & Wireless Global -- Jan 2001 - March 2002
Technical Architect - Nortel Networks -- May 1990 - Sept 1999
Independent Consultant Feb 2006 - March 26th 2014
Mentor Technology International Apr 2004 - Jan 2006
Independent Consultant Apr 2003 - Apr 2004
Cable & Wireless Global Jan 2001 - April 2003
Independent Consultant Oct 1999 - Jan 2001
Nortel Networks Sept 1991 - Sept 1999
Standard Telecommunications Laboratories March 1982 - August 1991
PhD in Artificial Intelligence (“Agent Theories and Architecture”) 1985 - 1989
BA Maths & Computer Science (1st Class) 1984.
Open University 3rd Level Physics courses in Electromagnetism (SMT359, 2008) and Quantum Theory (SM358, 2009) (both with Distinctions).
Business Strategies for the Next-Generation Network -- Dec. 2006
PDF available here.
Nigel Seel: about me.
Here's a link to my 23andMe genome.
Sciencefiction.com: 2011-2012 I was a contributing writer of science features and reviews.
1. Seel, N. R. (1984). An Analysis of a Simple Learning System. In Proceedings of the Sixth European Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
2. Seel, N. R. (1986). A formal framework for modelling agents. In Proc. of Cybernetics and Systems 1986. D.Reidel.
3. Seel, N. R. (1988). Modelling Iterated Strategies: a Case Study. In Proceedings of the Eighth European Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
4. Seel, N. R. (1989). A Logic for Reactive System Design. In Proceedings of the Seventh Conference of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour (AISB-89).
5. Seel, N. R. (1990). From Here to Agent Theory. In AISB Quarterly, Quarterly Newsletter of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour, No. 72.
6. Seel, N. R. (1990). Intentional Description of Reactive Systems. In Y. Demazeau & J-P. Muller (Eds.), Proceedings of the Second European Workshop on Modelling Autonomous Agents in a Multi-Agent World. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V./North-Holland. (This is the main technical presentation of my Ph.D work in an accessible form).
7. Lesan, H. & Seel, N. R. (1990). A Conversational Interface to a Constraint-Satisfaction System. In ICL Technical Journal, Vol 7, No. 1.
8. Seel, N. R., Gilbert, G. N and Morris, M. E. (1990). A Project-Orientated View of CSCW. In Proceedings of the Third IFIP Conference on Human Computer Interaction (INTERACT '90).
9. Seel, N. R. and Hughes, P. T. (1990). CSCW for Professional Community Support. Proceedings of the IEE Colloquium on CSCW, 24 October 1990. The Institution of Electrical Engineers, Computing and Control Division, Savoy Place, London WC2R 0BL.
10. Seel, N. R. (1991). The 'Logical Omniscience' of Reactive Systems. Proceedings of the Eighth Conference of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour (AISB-91).
11. Seel, N. R. (1991). Agents in the Human-Computer Interface: Extended Abstract. Proceedings of the IEE Colloquium on Intelligent Agents, 25 February 1991 (Digest No: 1991/048). The Institution of Electrical Engineers, Computing and Control Division, Savoy Place, London WC2R 0BL.
12. Hughes, P. T., Plant, T. A., Morris, M. E. and Seel, N. R. (1991). Collaboration Media: The Problem of Design by Use and the Use of Design. In: Proceedings of the UNICOM Seminar on CSCW "The Multimedia and networking Paradigm", Brunel University, 16-17 July 1991.
13. Seel, N. R. (1991). Perspectives for Distributed Artificial Intelligence. In AISB Quarterly, Quarterly Newsletter of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour, No. 76.
14. Seel, N. R. (1993). Traffic Management and Routing in SDH Networks. In Proceedings of the ITC Sponsored St Petersburg's Regional International Teletraffic Seminar "Digital Communication Network Management". (Ed.) B. Goldstein, A. Koucherayvy, M. Schneps-Shneppe, LONIIS, St. Petersburg, 15-20 June, 1993.
15. Seel, N. R. (1994). Approaches to SDH Network Design. Networks '94, Budapest, Hungary.
16. Seel, N. R. (1997). Carrier Architecture for IP Services. "Broadband Strategies", 4-5 Dec. 1997, IBC UK Conferences Ltd. , Gilmoora House, 57-61 Mortimer St., London W1N 8JX.
17. Seel, N. R. (2000). The Architecture of SS7-IP Interworking. IBC Workshop "Integrating SS7 and IP in the Network" at the IBC conference: "SS7/IP Interworking"; London, 13-15 March 2000.
18. Seel, N. R. (2000). Carrying IP over Glass. "The 2nd Annual International Optical Networking Forum", 17th-19th April 2000, Rome, Italy. Organised by IBC Global Conferences Ltd.
19. Seel, N. R. (2000). IPv6 Transition Architecture. "Transition To The New Internet". IBC Global Conferences Ltd. 22nd - 23rd June 2000, Millennium Britannia Hotel, London.
20. Seel, N. R. (2001). Integration Infrastructure Provision. 18th May 2001. OSS Summit, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, USA.
21. Garbin, D. A. & Seel, N. R. (2001). Network Service Providers: the Business of Transporting Bits. NGN2001 Conference (Next Generation Networks - McQuillan). November 5-9th, 2001. Boston, USA.