Saturday, December 04, 2021

Prof Jo Phoenix and the Open University

Following the report in The Times today about Professor Jo Phoenix's forced resignation from the OU, I have sent the letter below to the Vice Chancellor, Tim Blackman by email.

---

Dear Vice Chancellor,

As an OU graduate, I have financially supported the university for many years, being particularly grateful for its teaching expertise in STEM subjects.

But after reading about the hounding of Jo Phoenix in today's Times I have decided to terminate my DD to you.

This is not the kind of university culture I can identify with.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Nigel Seel.

---

I am genuinely disgusted. The OU pioneered high-quality university-level teaching for a generation of predominantly working-class people who were ignored by hidebound traditional universities. The quality of their science, mathematics and computer science courses was uniformly high - really impressive.

This latest capitulation to the anti-science lobby within the university itself just crosses a line for me. We've lost another university.

Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Keep it polite and no gratuitous links to your business website - we're not a billboard here.