Thursday, October 18, 2018

"I wish I were Nigella Lawson"


I say to her:

"Suppose you said, 'I wish I were Nigella Lawson,' .. given as how you like her.

So imagine your genome hanging in the air and next to it Nigella's.

Sequencing projects find about one SNP per 1000 bases. That's the basis for the claim that people are 99.9% genetically similar. The human genome is about 3 Gbp long. This suggests about 3 million SNPs are different among two random people.

So imagine molecular scissors tweaking your genome: three million base pair edits until we've made you into Nigella, ta-da!

But wait! We already have a Nigella. In every important sense your wish has already come true!"

--- pause ---

"I thought for a moment you were going to say something sensible."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Keep it polite and no gratuitous links to your business website - we're not a billboard here.