Saturday, April 03, 2010

The Wonders of Easter

I hardly know where to start.

It's 2 p.m. Easter Saturday and the rain is pouring down outside. We have just come back from a failed expedition to Street where we were planning to transact business with the Nationwide: they were closed.

Reversing my car up our steep and narrow drive, I collided with the metal rail and so the rear offside plastic light cover has been cracked. Great.

This morning as Clare was cleaning out the pantry which sits immediately below the first floor bathroom where we have expensively installed a new shower, sink and toilet, she noticed drips coming from the ceiling. We have bowls in place and as I write one inch of water has accumulated. Probably the plumber on Tuesday will have to break all that nice new tiling upstairs to uncover the cause.

Clare, my mother (who's staying with us) and myself attended the Good Friday service yesterday afternoon at 3 p.m. The high point is when all the Catholics get to line up and kiss the offered cross (which is tiny - I thought they'd have a full-sized one).

How unhygenic is that? Just some altar-kid rubbing it down with the same piece of cloth after each kiss: yeuk!

So here's Clare who we dropped off in Wells so she could pop into the church and take her part in the Easter Vigil. She reports that the church was in fact closed ...

It's still raining.