Friday, January 01, 2016

Google Fetch now in Beta

Android tablets and phones have that Google box at the top of the screen. Say "OK Google," or tap on the microphone icon and you can speak your query. If it's straightforward, a synthesised voice will reply. It's remarkably effective.

This morning I noticed an additional function on my Nexus 10. If you say 'Google Fetch', the search box turns black.

On a whim, I said, "Google fetch roadkill." The black surface began to ripple like heavy, viscous oil. I pushed my fingers in - the consistency was that of thick treacle. The borders of the search box wavered and expanded to make room for my hand, extending down the screen. Soon, I felt something! My hand came out bearing the squashed and mangled remains of a kit - a baby rabbit.


I was at a loss what to do with it, now I had it. In the end, we boiled it and fed it to the cat.

There had been rumours that Google[x] was involved in research on Einstein-Rosen Bridges so I suppose this new feature is no surprise but like so much from Google, it's well-engineered and quite awesome in practice. It's certainly a novel alternative to Amazon's idea of using drones for delivery.

I think that to be truly useful, however, Google are going to have to deliver tablets with bigger screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Keep it polite and no gratuitous links to your business website - we're not a billboard here.