Friday, January 12, 2024

Wushu at the Gym today

The sword in its bag: Wushu = Martial Art

Clare turns left at the entrance, heading toward the swimming pool and her twenty lengths. Me, I turn right for the sports hall.

After a few minutes of warm-up exercises and stretches, I do a six minute t'ai chi form. I'm concentrating on posture (should be lower), balance (especially the kicks), rhythm and flow. I know I'm too fast; it should be more like eight minutes but I can't help but be tugged by martial intent (now with speed and power!).

Next comes the Cheng Man-ch'ing sword form using my Christmas present of the heavier wooden sword (pictured above). I start with a three or four minute form - slow! - to focus on correct posture, flow and balance. Then speed up for power and intent. As in a karate kata, you should imagine an invisible opponent and deliver killing strikes to the neck, limbs and body.

Now it's time for the first four Heian kata. I perform each one once, fairly slowly in a t'ai chi fashion, because I'm not young. I'm looking for accuracy and flow - it's getting there, especially for Heian Yondan with which I am least familiar.

I finish with a further round of either the sword or t'ai chi form and then it's off to the café for a coffee, to relax and wait for Clare.

Thirty minutes of practice, three times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. Keep it polite and no gratuitous links to your business website - we're not a billboard here.