Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Paintings with Cats

Genius from Russian artist Svetlana Petrova.

Grant Wood's American Gothic

Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa

Titian's Venus of Urbino
I'm still meandering through Jack McDevitt's 'Alex Benedict' series. A well-written blending of far-future science-fiction and detective-story. They're rather slow, but well-written and engaging; I don't know if I'll have the energy to get to number 6 (having just finished 3 - 'Seeker').

What else is on my Kindle app right now? Mindbridge and Slan (and 'The Devil's Eye').

My current non-virtual book is Francis Fukuyama's "The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution". Although I'm in the early sections I really can't praise this book highly enough. Non-ideological writing - ie without an agenda, scintillating prose style and super-intelligent analysis. If only journalistic pundits started from where this author leaves off we might be having grown up debates about politics and strategy and maybe getting things somewhat right.